Sunday, June 6, 2010

Pliny Letter 1, Book I.1

This is a short little introductory poem to Pliny's collected letters, which he wrote for the occasion. Pliny lies a little here, when he says that the order of time is not saved [non servato temporis ordine]. For the books that hold the letters are generally categorized to time periods, though they do cover a wide variety of subjects. It shall be interesting to see what other letters Pliny has written. I think the next one may be his account of the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius. Videbimus.

Gaius Plinius to his dear Septicius, Greetings:

(I) You frequently ordered me to collect and publish letters, if I had written them somewhat more carefully. I collected them not with the order of time preserved (for I am not setting down a history), but as each came into my hand. It remains that neither you regret your council nor do I regret following it. For thus it shall happen that those which still lie neglected I shall search for, and if I am to add them, I will not withhold them. Farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment