Monday, June 14, 2010

Letter 9B: Epistulae VI.7 Pliny

This is a short letter from Pliny to his wife discussing his absence from her and the ways both of them deal with the distance. His wife's personal interest in his literary works is also identified and discussed.

Gaius Plinius to his dear Calpurnia, Greetings:

(I) You write that you are affected not slightly by my absence and that you have solace alone in the fact that you hold for me my speeches [libellos] which often lay in my place (at your bedside).

(II) It is pleasing that you miss me, and also that you find pleasure in these alleviations; in turn, I read your letters over and over again, and again and again I take them up in my hands as if they were new.

(III) But all the more I am kindled by desire for you: for whose letters have so much sweetness, how much charm is present within our conversations! Nevertheless write as frequently as you can, even if this pleases me as (much as) it also pains me. Farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment