Friday, June 4, 2010

Epistulae Morales I

Seneca's letter writing differs dramatically both in structure and diction. Cicero's letters are known for being very colloquial and idiomatic with the structure being very loose and seemingly at his whim. Seneca's on the other hand mark the evolution of letter-writing as a genre and show a more formalized structure and read very clearly. Seneca does differ from the authors of this category in that he writes moralistic essays in the guise of letters similar in a sense to Socrates' moralistic dialogues (teaching in the guise of argument).

Without further ado:

Seneca to his dear Lucilius, Greetings:

(I) Do this my Lucilius; set yourself free for your own benefit, and time, which till now was either being carried off or stolen or slipping away, gather and protect it. Tell yourself that this is how it is, as I write: certain times are being snatched away from us, are being led off, are running out. Nevertheless it is the foulest loss, that happens through negligence. And if you shall have wanted to attend to those times, a great part of life slips from those who do bad things, the greatest part slips from those who do nothing, and all life slips from those who pay no attention.

(II) What time will you give me, you who are the sort who places some value on time, who values the day, who understands that he may die any day? For in this we are wrong, we look forward to death; whose great part already has passed by; whatever life we had before, death holds it now. Therefore do this, my Lucilius, because you will write that you do, embrace every hour. It will happen that you will be hung up less on what must be done tomorrow and throw your hands upon what must be done today. While these things are put off, life runs past.

(III) All things, Lucilius, belong to another, however time alone is ours. Nature sends us into the possession of this one fleeing slippery thing, from which she expels whomever she wants. And there is so much stupidity in mortal beings, as those who are least in life and cheapest, certainly recoverable, are charged against themselves, when they suffer to gain only for themselves, let no one judge whether he owes anything, who receives time, when meanwhile it is this alone, which cannot return favor.

(IV) Perhaps you will ask, what do I do, who advise you thus. I confess openly: it comes with luxuriousness but diligence also, my expense balances it out. I cannot say that I lose nothing, but what I lose and why and how, let me say; let me relate the causes of my poverty. But it comes to me, that mostly you do not return to poverty by your own vice; everyone forgives but no one helps.

(V) What then is it? I do no think poverty, to whom however little remains, is enough. Nevertheless I prefer that you guard your time, and may you begin in good time. For as it seemed to our ancestors, "It is too late to be thrifty at rock bottom." For not only will it remain at the lowest point but it will remain the worst. Farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment