Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Summer Plans

I have been trying to construct a summer plan of attack/intensive language review to: 1) cement my groundedness in both Latin (composition and translation) and Ancient Greek (in preparation for tackling some of The Odyssey in the fall); and 2) build vocabulary and cultural understanding of the languages. I feel that if I don't keep up with some intensive study, my progress in the languages will fall back on itself and I'll be sad come school time again when I have to spend too much time puzzling out translations. My Latin has grown a lot this year (to the point where I can sight-read 90% of anything classical), and my Greek has only just begun.

So here it is in all its grandness:

June 1st - July 31st [61 days]

Translation of my reader on Latin Letters: MWFS 30-45 min
North and Hillard's Latin Composition: ALL 30 min
Thrasymachus Greek Textbook: SunTRS 30 min
Hansen and Quinn Intensive Greek Course: ALL 1 hour

I have decided to give myself two hours pretty much everyday to solely work on languages. On top of that however is keeping up with my growing list of flashcards to cement my vocabulary in both languages. I use Anki for my Latin vocab, but had a little trouble with polytonic Greek characters being read, so I'm going the good ol' fashioned route and using paper cards. The plus side to this is that I can sneak these into work and review during the slow times (which is all the time excepting weekends).

I feel a busy summer coming up. Stay tuned for the rest of Seneca's Apocolocyntosis. Sorry for the lack of commentary but I left my Yellow and Green Apocolocyntosis on campus and have resorted to using thelatinlibrary.com's version.

No comments:

Post a Comment